Skip to main content

Mi casa, su casa

Hello World! After undergoing a nerve-racking bus ride from our retreat center to La Fila, Megon and I made it safely here to this tiny, beautiful community tucked away in the mountains just south of San Jose. We are limited on Internet time here, so I´m going to share with you our best story ...

So we wanted to arrive on the down-low, but it turned out anything but on Saturday. The Peace Corps delivered us to our training communities via a gigantic tourist bus - similar to what you´d see in Alaska - which was cool and all, but man did we make a gran entrada. Not only were we late, but our bus driver made a wrong turn on a road that wasn´t much wider than the bus itself. Having no place to make a U-turn for miles, the driver used some of his mad city-driving skills and backed up the bus ... on an uphill. At one point, the bus nearly went into a ditch. It reminded me of the time we went white-water rafting down the Six Mile and the guide yelled, ¨High side!¨ when we tipped over and Megon fell out. To say the least, we didn´t tip and I held Megon safely in my arms. As for the driver, man he was excellent!

Keep in mind ... driving all together in Costa Rica requires an entirely different blog post.

Alas, once we got off the bus and I told the driver, ¨Buen trabajo,¨ Megon and I greeted our host family with warm hugs and handshakes. We met our new mom (Esterlina), dad (Mario), and brothers (Mario Jr. and Jose). We truely scored with this family. They are super, super nice people. The parents are good parents and the boys are polite and fun to be around - Mario Jr. is 7 and Jose is 5. Mario totally reminds me of my nephew Owen. I´ve already taught them how to play Uno - a game they had never heard of, which I thought was funny - as well as Dominos and Left, Right, Center. Jose really likes playing Uno. I do too because it helps improve my Spanish.

Our barrio, or neighborhood in Ingles, has an amazing view of the mountains and surrounding coffee farms. Coffee sales play a huge part in La Fila´s economy and I´ve decided I´m more than happy to support it. The food is wonderful too - fresh breads, fruits, and organic vegetables. For instance, Meg and I had fresh pineapple this morning to go along with our gallo pinto mixed with sour cream and bread. Our room is tiny - big enough for a queen-sized bed, dresser and a tiny walk space. But after living in a tiny cabin for two years, it´s really nothing new. Our host mom dries the laundry on the roof. The trees next to the roof sometimes have sloths and racoons climbing up it. No snakes or monkeys in the area, but there are some interesting bugs, birds and coyotes. Our family has a cabin in the mountains and I think we´re going to stay overnight there next weekend.

I wish I had a picture to share, but I´m using a public computer - no Internet at our family´s house - and uploading a picture would take too long. Regardless, I haven´t taken many pictures since we arrived. I don´t want to look like a tourist. Once we get to know the area, however, I´ll have some to share ... I promise. Well folks, my time is running out. I´d love to share more stories about our adventure, but I´ve got only a few minutes left. Hope all is well wherever you are reading this!   

Comments

Karey said…
It sounds like everything is just falling into place for you! I love that Mario reminds you of Owen... a little taste of family.:) Can't wait to see pictures of your new family! I'm sure the boys can't wait to see pictures of the animals! My next question is...will you ever come back?
Love you!
Karey
Tammie said…
Thanks Kevin! What a charmed life you two lead. Sounds like something out of a movie. It will be fun to see pictures of the area and your family. Love you two.
Unknown said…
A warm mom hug... love you both, really enjoy your posts, fun to follow your life.

Popular posts from this blog

Two Years Down, Two Months to Go

It’s crazy to think that two years ago today, Kevin and I arrived in Costa Rica. It’s even crazier to think that we only have two more months to go. Our Peace Corps service officially ends Dec. 4, a day that I imagine will be full of mixed emotions — thrilled to be going home to see family, celebrate Christmas and enjoy the beautiful state of Alaska, but sad to leave the pura vida we have lived in Sarapiquí. Little by little, we’re noticing signs that our time here is limited. Just a couple of weeks ago Tico 21 participated in the Close of Service conference, where all of us gathered at the lovely Corobicí Hotel in San José to reflect, celebrate and say farewell to friends and Peace Corps staff members we’ve had the pleasure to get to know. At times it was hard to hold back the tears, knowing our incredible Peace Corps experience will soon be finished. Speaking of farewells, after 20 months of grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and communicative activities, our c...

160 Pounds of Progress

About three weeks ago, Kevin and I went to San José to pick up a long-awaited special shipment from Alaska. We waited in line at the post office, with passports and customs papers in hand, for just long enough to be glad we’d taken the whole day off for the task. We were ushered from one window to the next, signing this and dating that, writing my passport number here and answering questions there. It was well worth the wait though, because the busy man at window six pushed us out a cart piled high with four huge boxes of books! The books were all donated by Government Hill Elementary in Anchorage. But they couldn’t have arrived without the help of the group of Returned Peace Corps Volunteers in Anchorage, who secured $600 to pay for the shipping costs. The books were more amazing than we had expected. The first box alone held exactly 200 books — no doubt thanks to my Dad’s expert packing skills. Kevin and I oohed and aahhed over each one as we pulled them from the boxes. All of ...

Kids Don't Like to Read

We’ve heard it many times since we embarked on our elementary school library project. Kids here just don’t like to read. A library is a nice idea, we were told told, but don’t expect kids to actually enjoy it. Thank goodness we didn’t listen. Our first classes in the library on Tuesday were a huge success. The fourth and fifth graders filed in first and greatly enjoyed the True Story of the Three Little Pigs. They loved taking their shoes off and snuggling up for story time on the brand new rugs, despite temperatures in the 90s. We discussed the library rules then moved on to free reading time, which was a bigger hit than we’d expected. For almost 20 minutes, all we could hear was the soft whisper of kids reading under their breath and the sound of pages being turned. Next came the first graders. They loved Kevin’s reading of “Is Your Mama a Llama?” and energetically guessed the names of the upcoming animals. They acted out the library rules and spent a peaceful 10 minute...