I never thought turning 31 could be so much fun.
Megon threw me a curveball on Monday and planned a surprise baseball birthday party that involved our host family and most of our Peace Corps friends who live here in La Fila and down the hill in San Gabriel. The afternoon plan was to take a walk with the family to San Gabriel. But what the walk turned into was a full-fledged baseball game in la plaza, an open green space in town meant for the kids to play fútbol and the cows to graze.
Megon set up the entire party. She recruited Barton, a close friend of ours, to round up two aluminum bats and three baseballs his host family owns. Then she recruited Mario, our host dad, to help make the bases. He and Megonfilled four plastic bags with dirt and set them in the street – all while I was taking my birthday nap – so our friends could pick them up on their way to San Gabriel. After our usual 3 p.m. coffee with the family, we got ready for our walk to San Gabriel. I wanted to wear pants, but considering our family likestakingspontaneous adventures, Megon said, “You should probably wear shorts. You just never know.”
On our way down the hill, we picked up three of the boys’ cousins. I thought, “Wow, five kids? This is going to be quite the walk.” Once we reached San Gabriel, a group of PC friends were hanging out in front of the church. “Meg,” I said. “Look who’s hanging out in San Gabriel.”
I noticed four bags of dirt next to them on the ground.
“Happy birthday,” said Jackie. “Do you want four bags of dirt?”
“Not really,” I said, having no clue what it was for.
Then Barton handed me a bag with two bats and three balls – still, I had no clue. In fact, I thought the baseball equipment was a gift (Note: Everyone in Tico 21 knows that my goal in Costa Rica is to start a baseball club). Megon told me, “Sorry Kev, but those are only rentals.” I was so excited that I was actually holding a baseball bat that it still didn’t register.
“We should play!” I said. “Oh, wait. Is that why all of you are here?”
Just for the record, the surprise took so long to register because I never thought Megon would throw me another surprise birthday party after what happened (or didn’t happen) back in 2007. Megon e-mailed all my friends and told them she was throwing a party at our house and making my favorite dish – eggplant parmesan. Unbeknownst to Megon, I made my own plans and told my friends to meet me at Crossroads, my favorite bar in Anchorage. I wanted Megon to come but she wouldn’t, which pissed me off. I got to the bar and started socializing with my friends. She called twice, but I was so mad she wasn’t there that I declined both calls.
On the third call, Hink, a co-worker of mine, told me, “Kevin, I’d answer that if I were you. You’re ruining your surprise birthday party.”
To say the least, we all went to my house, had the “surprise” party and ate the eggplant parmesan and Molly’s delicious German chocolate cake. Megon that night promised she’d never do that again.
I’m so happy she didn’t keep that promise.
Comments
I just got your blog address from Diana - sounds like you and Megon are having a grand adventure!!
:-) Robby