This has been a busy week for Kevin and me. We’ve spent time with Kevin’s counterpart, gotten to know a few nearby towns, planned an English class and spent lots of quality time with our host family. The majority of our time and energy this week however, was divided between two CATs: one on paper, the other furry.
While this CAT has been on our minds for the last few weeks, another cat came into our lives unexpectedly. While shopping for bikes in Finca 6, the biggest town near us, Kevin and I heard a strange, incessant and desperate meowing sound coming from a dirty and disorderly corner between two stores. I asked the store clerk if there were cats living in the corner and he said no, but there was definitely something back there. It wasn’t long before I couldn’t take it anymore and just had to investigate (you know what they say about curiosity and cats … ). The noise led me to a large, enclosed metal garbage cage with a padlock on it. Inside that metal cage was a grain bag that was moving and meowing.
The CAT, or Community Assessment Tool, is the main project we PCVs work on upon arrival to our sites. It’s a huge project that involves a lot of interviews, surveys, investigation, listening, and most of all, patience. In order to gather information for this assessment, we’ve had in-depth conversations with many people in and around our community: the pulpería (corner store) owner, farmers, doctors, teachers, policemen, and the president of our town’s Asociación de Desarrollo, which basically is the town’s governing body. It’s been busy but also extremely helpful in learning about the strengths and weaknesses of this particular village in Costa Rica. It is through this assessment that we will discover how we can be most helpful here.
While this CAT has been on our minds for the last few weeks, another cat came into our lives unexpectedly. While shopping for bikes in Finca 6, the biggest town near us, Kevin and I heard a strange, incessant and desperate meowing sound coming from a dirty and disorderly corner between two stores. I asked the store clerk if there were cats living in the corner and he said no, but there was definitely something back there. It wasn’t long before I couldn’t take it anymore and just had to investigate (you know what they say about curiosity and cats … ). The noise led me to a large, enclosed metal garbage cage with a padlock on it. Inside that metal cage was a grain bag that was moving and meowing.It didn’t take long for me to find the man in charge of the building and convince him to open up the garbage container. I climbed a latter to fish out the bag (deposited there by the bakery, he said) and carefully untied it. Out stepped a tiny, beautiful, flour-covered kitten. She was terrified of everything and ran skittishly from one hiding spot to the next. The storeowners were angry and the Chinese restaurant owner next door gave me a plastic bag and said, “Take it home!” What else could I do? Leave it there for the same people that tried to kill it? Let it get run over by a car in the middle of the big city? I just couldn’t do that. After all, I had saved its life. So I put her in the plastic bag so her head could stick out, and I hung the bag over the handlebars of my new bike. She rode all the way home just calm as could be. I even think she may have fallen asleep at some point during the journey.
I had a little bit of explaining to do when we got home, but eventually everyone agreed that it was best to let the kitten stay the night in the storage room outside while I looked for a new home for her. The kitten loved it here and I think the boys enjoyed having a pet around – for a while. Kevin named her Golla, the feminine version of Gollo, which is the name of the store we found her at. On Thursday morning, I bathed her and took her to the owner of the pulpería, Adolfo, who agreed to let her live in the pulpería until he could get one of his customers to take her home. By Friday morning, Golla had been adopted by a girl that snuggled and kissed her all the way home. We’re just glad that she’s safe and cared for now after such a traumatic event.
So all in all, it’s been a busy, eventful, and very successful week. One cat saved, one CAT effectively begun.
Comments