~ By Megon Coon
I was wholly unaware
of the creepy scaly thing
just waiting up there.
It was calm and patient,
as still as could be,
neatly curled up there
just looking at me.
In an instant I saw it
and man did I scream
as the boa constrictor
unwound from the beam.
“Don’t worry,” they said,
“It’s eating the rats!
That’s what they’re made for-
they’re better than cats!”
“Rats?” I said,
“We don’t have those,
just geckos and cockroaches
under our toes!”
They poked and they prodded
with the end of our broom
‘till it fell to the floor
and fled from the room.
They got straight to work,
shoved it into a sack,
and I was just glad
it didn’t end in a WHACK!
They took it and left it
in a field far from here,
I doubt if we’ll ever again
see it so near.
But that night I saw
a rat big and black
and I though to myself,
“Could we get that bécquer back?”
Comments
The boys loved your poem by the way!