Skip to main content

Site Assignment Day!

The wait is finally over! Last Wednesday, Megon and I found out where our new home will be for the next two years. Are you ready? Well, we’ve been placed in La Rambla, a tiny community that is hot, humid, rainy and known for its delicious pineapples, crocodile rivers, howler monkeys, geckos and lots of interesting bugs. It’s about 30 minutes from Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui, a much larger hub that is an hour and a half north of San Jose. You might find La Rambla on Google Map, but I highly doubt it. We could hardly find it ourselves when we busted out our Costa Rica map.
Megon and I will technically be living between two communities, La Rambla and Rio Frio, on a finca (farm) with a mom and her three teenage sons. Though we’re jazzed about living on a farm, we’re still not sure what kind of farm. Horses? Cows? Goats? Chickens? Gatos? I’m crossing my fingers for a cow or two. Lately I’ve been craving a big glass of milk with a side of Oreos. Our family doesn’t drink milk, so my calcium craving subsides only after I swipe a handful of Megon’s Tums.

Jose, one of our three TEFL program directors, told us the house is “spacious and comfortable.” He scouted out our finca strategically so Megon and I can commute to our respective schools every day. From our home, Megon will bike two kilometers to the west to work at the high school and elementary in La Rambla, while I will bike five kilometers to the east to work at the high school in Rio Frio.

Megon’s high school is called an Ambientalista, which if translated in Spanish means it’s an environmentally-centered school. It’s totally Megon’s cup of tea. Apparently there are several hectares of preserved forest behind the school where kids can study, hike, observe nature or who knows what else. The principal there is a younger guy who, according to Jose, can hardly wait for Megon to arrive and start working with his English teachers, helping them become more effective educators whether it’s speaking better English or honing classroom management skills.

Megon and I both agree that working at my high school in Rio Frio will be a challenge. But I’m looking forward to facing it when the school year starts in February. During the day, the high school (grades 7-12) has more than a thousand students and six English teachers. In the afternoon, it turns into a nocuturno colegio, which is Spanish for night school. I think it’s for the kids who work all day in the pineapple and heart of palm plantations and want to squeeze in an education.

In general, Megon and I are pretty excited about the big move into our new site, which begins in late December. We know our way around greater downtown Puerto Viejo thanks to Tarah and Chris, the married PCVs we met a few weeks ago at our site visit in La Colonia. Since then we’ve stayed in close contact with them, and they actually stopped by La Fila last Friday and Saturday for a short but sweet visit. We plan to see them this weekend when we meet our new host family for the first time. 

We'll be in La Rambla from Saturday until Wednesday morning. Then we return to La Fila for only two more weeks. Man, time flies! We’re not looking forward to saying good-bye to our family. But there is comfort knowing they live only three hours away by bus. We’re planning on visiting them often over the next couple of years and staying very close.


Comments

Tammie said…
Sounds good and I look forward to photos and more about the farm and family. Love you
Unknown said…
Wow you guys, this is all so exciting! I remember finding out my placement as a VERY exciting day! ha ha. I'm glad you guys are looking forward to the move, for me it was a good change, but I didn't really get along with my host family so I think it made me way easier! take care and hopefully we can talk again soon!
Tarah has been helping my wife and I with pre-departure questions for the last week or so. We will be leaving Des Moines in February for Costa Rica.

I thought it was random to come across their names in your blog as well.

Good luck with your transition!

PS: how was your spanish before you got there and how do you feel about it now?

Popular posts from this blog

Two Years Down, Two Months to Go

It’s crazy to think that two years ago today, Kevin and I arrived in Costa Rica. It’s even crazier to think that we only have two more months to go. Our Peace Corps service officially ends Dec. 4, a day that I imagine will be full of mixed emotions — thrilled to be going home to see family, celebrate Christmas and enjoy the beautiful state of Alaska, but sad to leave the pura vida we have lived in Sarapiquí. Little by little, we’re noticing signs that our time here is limited. Just a couple of weeks ago Tico 21 participated in the Close of Service conference, where all of us gathered at the lovely Corobicí Hotel in San José to reflect, celebrate and say farewell to friends and Peace Corps staff members we’ve had the pleasure to get to know. At times it was hard to hold back the tears, knowing our incredible Peace Corps experience will soon be finished. Speaking of farewells, after 20 months of grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and communicative activities, our c...

Shaking things up

Thanks again to all of you who have written and followed the blog! We hope all of you are doing well and enjoying fall! It sure is nice to be able to email/post every night, but this won't last long. In fact, tonight is probably our last post in a few days. We did, however, get some fantastic news today -- we're headed off to our new host communities tomorrow! We were placed into our language groups this morning, which was a much-awaited event. Kevin was placed into the novice group with 3 other new-to-Spanish volunteers, all of whom have the potential be great friends in the near future. Megon was placed into the advanced group with four other proficient Spanish speakers. We've both already formed great bonds with all of our fellow language group trainees, which is a good thing because we'll be living in the same village as them and taking training classes with them 5-6 days a week.  We got to leave, or "escape" as some have said, our retreat center in the ...

Kids Don't Like to Read

We’ve heard it many times since we embarked on our elementary school library project. Kids here just don’t like to read. A library is a nice idea, we were told told, but don’t expect kids to actually enjoy it. Thank goodness we didn’t listen. Our first classes in the library on Tuesday were a huge success. The fourth and fifth graders filed in first and greatly enjoyed the True Story of the Three Little Pigs. They loved taking their shoes off and snuggling up for story time on the brand new rugs, despite temperatures in the 90s. We discussed the library rules then moved on to free reading time, which was a bigger hit than we’d expected. For almost 20 minutes, all we could hear was the soft whisper of kids reading under their breath and the sound of pages being turned. Next came the first graders. They loved Kevin’s reading of “Is Your Mama a Llama?” and energetically guessed the names of the upcoming animals. They acted out the library rules and spent a peaceful 10 minute...